Programme and Policy Officer
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its' employees and
encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information,
gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Job Title: Programme and Policy Officers
Type of Contract: Consultant Level I
Division: PRO – Programme – Humanitarian and Development Divisions
Duty Station (City, Country): HQ Rome, Italy
Duration: 3 months with possibility of extension
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The staff member will report to the Head of the Front Office of the Programme – Humanitarian and Development Divisions and will be based in the Front Office to ensure quality control and excellence in the products from the Division.
ACCOUNTABILITY / RESPONSIBILITIES :
Reporting to the Head of the Front Office, the staff member will perform the following activities:
- Collect, draft and validate key messages on programmatic and policy issues.
- Conduct quality control and ensure divisional products standards are met, to be consumed by the Division director and senior management.
- Consolidate briefing packages for the Division Director’s participation in meetings and events, such as the Executive Board, external engagements, etc.
- Prepare background materials and support the organization of events and meetings.
- Provide support on the day-to-day work of the Front Office, ensuring completion of ED Taskers and Correspondence request, tracking of briefs and materials for calendarized meetings.
- Revise and consolidate divisional submissions to corporate products and exercises.
- Consolidate outputs from meetings and events, such as Notes for Reference and follow-up actions.
- Support the draft of guidance, background documents and organization of the Policy Task Force.
- Support in project management and timelines for tasks, projects and initiatives run by the Front Office.
- Support creation and implementation of programme and policy-related communication plans and products such as e-mails, newsletters, webinars, etc.
- Support interaction with Communications Division to ensure alignment and collaboration between the Divisions.
- Support the research and consolidation of material on policy and programme frontier topics.
- Perform other related tasks as requested by the direct supervisor and the Division Director.
- Provide secretarial support to the Policy Cycle Taskforce.
- Maintain and expand Key Messages Compendium.
- Ensure quality and standards expected for senior management products is met.
- Ensure alignment with Communication Division colleagues.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Advanced University degree in International Relations, Political Science, Economics, Information Management or other relevant fields to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience.
One year of professional experience, including volunteering or internships. Has worked with WFP and gained direct experience in project management, and internal communication management.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong writing, analytical and research skills (qualitative and quantitative);
- Project management skills and ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines;
- Good interpersonal skills, teamwork spirit and ability to work in multicultural settings;
- Knowledge and understanding of United Nations and its role in humanitarian and development cooperation.
Excellent oral and writing skills in English are required.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the
contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 23 January 2022
Ref.: VA No. 155827
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work
environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates
will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil
Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations
system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.